Sunday, December 15, 2013

Matchbox Advent Calendar


 DIY advent calendars are popular right now. I decided to do a matchbox advent. I filled mine with candies and little strips of paper I rolled up that have things to do each day. This is what you will need:
  • 25 matchboxes
  • Wrapping paper
  • Washi tape, or any other type of colored or patterned tape (you can get washi tape at target in their office sections and most craft stores such as Michael's)
  • Glue (school works perfectly fine)
  • Scissors
  • Cardboard
  • Stamps and ink or markers
  • A brush
 First I covered the front of the boxes with washi tape. I did four of each pattern and a different pattern for box 25.


Number them next. I used stamps with black and gold ink and pressed against the inside of the matchbox to keep it from breaking. You can use markers as well, though I like the uniform look stamps provide.
 
Now glue them together. I stared by gluing them across in rows first, them gluing the rows on top of another. I used a moderately heavy book to help the drying and press the matchboxes down.


When it dries, trace the size on cardboard. I used an X-Acto knife, but the scissors will work just as well. You should have two side pieces, two pieces for the top and bottom, and a back piece.



 Glue the pieces to the calendar, creating a box. When you do the back, be carful not to glue the drawers of the matchbox to the back, you want to be able to pull them out :).


The final step is to cover the cardboard with wrapping paper. I chose a neutral music print, so it would not draw away from the patterns of the drawers. Measure and cut the wrapping paper, making sure to leave about 1/2 an inch for folding.

To glue the wrapping paper on, I added one part water to two parts glue and brushed it on. Pull the paper tight over the cardboard. When you fold the ends, take and fold half the left edge of one side down first in a triangle shape. Do this to the right edge then put glue on the inside of the fold, align it and push that part down. Once dry, trim anything that overhangs with scissors.


You are ready to fill it up with goodies for the month!
~Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment